When it’s dull and gloomy out it can be easy to not be in the best mood. On days that start to feel bad I go to my Bad Day List of things to do when it’s been a bad day and try to turn it around.
The happiness board
The first thing I will do is look at my Happiness board on Pinterest. It’s a lot of reading but I pin everything from nice little things in life ( like tiny soft kitty foreheads, the sound of rain, etc. ) to things that make life better. If there are things I want to be reminded of often, I print them out and put it on my wall or somewhere where I can see it often.
The Bad Day List
This is my list of things to do when the day starts to feel bad.
- Write down 10 things that you’re happy exist, no matter how small. And 5 things you’re thankful for at this exact moment. Example – I am sitting inside with a fuzzy blanket when it’s cold and rainy out.
- Have some food. Most of the times, I’m just hangry ( does this happen to other people?? ) so getting a bit of food makes life a lot better. It also helps since food releases good chemicals when you eat it. A very good choice is a banana or a bit of chocolate.
- Listen to music you like and do a “mind dump” in a journal. This helps to get everything out and good music is very healing.
- Make a new playlist or make a calming playlist to help.
- Distract yourself! I’m very bad at this, but it’s super important so you don’t wallow. Doing anything will help, watch a TV show, your favourite movie, read something, anything will help. I somehow always end up watching Beyonce dance performances.
- Help someone or do something nice for someone else. It makes you feel good to make others happy and it’s just overall very fulfilling.
- More sleep!! This just helps everything so much. It’s very important.
- Make some change, getting out of routine can help by making things more exciting.
- Exercise! Dance, find a workout video on YouTube, go for a walk. Just moving.
What are some things you do to turn a bad day around?